The mission of the Blessed Stanley Rother Academic Support Program is to provide services to ensure that students with disabilities are offered a challenging, faith-based education with high expectations of academic, social and spiritual growth in an environment of love and acceptance.
In addition to academic support programming, students will be assisted by Peer Tutors and Peer Mentors in the classroom. Peers will participate in a class where they will be taught about learning challenges, strategies to assist peers and will receive credit for the curricular class.
Each student/family requesting admission to the Blessed Stanley Rother Academic Support Program at Bishop Kelley will participate in an evaluation process to determine if the support and resources are available and are in the best interest of the student, family, and learning community. This process may include parent interviews, diagnostic evaluations, reports from previous schools, observations conducted by the Bishop Kelley staff, and assessment of school capabilities.
The academic support program was named for Stanley Rother, a diocesan priest from Okarche, OK. who was martyred in Guatemala in 1981.
Components of the Rother Program
- Highly qualified Learning Specialists direct the program
- Learning Specialists work in conjunction with classroom teachers to assist students.
- Students may access the Learning Specialists before school, at lunch, after school, or as directed by their classroom teachers.
Students with a Diagnosed Academic Disability
- Must submit to a psycho-educational or psycho-neurological battery of tests.
- May be eligible to receive additional accommodations for SAT or ACT if testing is current (within three years), and accommodations have been utilized in classes. Learning Specialists will submit the proper paperwork, but all decisions will be made by the testing agency.
Academic Support Tiers
The program provides support according to each nstudent’s individual learning needs.
- Tier I is designed for students with intellectual disabilities. Students benefit from inclusion opportunities in a variety of academic and elective courses for 80-100% of the school day. Individualized instruction as needed is provided to facilitate their continued academic progress. Most students participating in Tier I will receive a “Certificate of Completion” upon graduation from the program.
- Tier II is a structured, specialized learning environment for diploma-bound students who need extra help with academics. This may include additional tutoring, assistance in the classroom, or resource room help. Tier III
- Tier III serves students with diagnosed learning disabilities. This includes students who are identified with a processing, reading or math disorder, in addition to students with Autism, ADHD or other identifications.
Sources of Academic Support
Take advantage of the academic support resources available to all students at Bishop Kelley; they are all free of charge.
- Math Lab – Daily support in math after school from 3:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. A teacher runs the math lab who can help students with any level of math. This is also a place to go for just getting homework in math completed. The location for Math Lab is posted in the front office.
- Writing Lab – Daily support in English after school from 3:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. A teacher runs the writing lab who can help students with any level of English. This is also a place to go for just getting homework in English completed. The location for Writing Lab is posted in the front office.
- Library: The library is open every day at 7:30 a.m. and stays open after school until 4:00 p.m. each day. The library offers a place to complete homework independently or in small groups.
- Blessed Stanley Rother Academic Support Room: Located in the MQP, the Rother program is designed to help any level of student find success. The Rother Room opens at 7:30 a.m. each morning and is open until 4:00 p.m. each day.
- Commons: The Commons is open until 5:00 p.m. every day for socializing and study.
Click here for a chart of locations for academic help.