All students at Bishop Kelley High School are entitled to a quality, Catholic education. In keeping with this philosophy, academic support is available to all students. These programs include Math Lab, Writing Lab, and the Blessed Stanley Rother Academic Support Program. Students in need of academic support are expected to complete the regular coursework with minimal accommodations. Modifications to coursework will not be a component.
Accommodations might include:
- Extended time
- Alternate test-taking procedures
- Organizational assistance
- Academic coaching
Components of the Rother Program
- Highly qualified Learning Specialists direct the program
- Learning Specialists work in conjunction with classroom teachers to assist students.
- Students may access the Learning Specialists before school, at lunch, after school, or as directed by their classroom teachers.
Students with a Diagnosed Academic Disability
- Must submit to a psycho-educational or psycho-neurological battery of tests.
- May be eligible to receive additional accommodations for SAT or ACT if testing is current (within three years), and accommodations have been utilized in classes. Learning Specialists will submit the proper paperwork, but all decisions will be made by the testing agency.
Sources of Academic Support
Take advantage of the academic support resources available to all students at Bishop Kelley; they are all free of charge.
- Math Lab – Daily support in math after school from 3:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. A teacher runs the math lab who can help students with any level of math. This is also a place to go for just getting homework in math completed. The location for Math Lab is posted in the front office.
- Writing Lab – Daily support in English after school from 3:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. A teacher runs the writing lab who can help students with any level of English. This is also a place to go for just getting homework in English completed. The location for Writing Lab is posted in the front office.
- Library: The library is open every day at 7:30 a.m. and stays open after school until 4:00 p.m. each day. The library offers a place to complete homework independently or in small groups.
- Blessed Stanley Rother Academic Support Room: Located in the MQP, the Rother program is designed to help any level of student find success. The Rother Room opens at 7:30 a.m. each morning and is open until 4:00 p.m. each day.
- Commons: The Commons is open until 5:00 p.m. every day for socializing and study.
Click here for a chart of locations for academic help.
Professional tutoring - if you wish to hire a professional tutor, our counselors can provide a list of qualified tutors.